Sunday, January 15, 2012

A powdered sugar doughnut?

We are doing good here in Winnipeg. Thursday the temperature was nearly 40 F. Then Friday we were greeted to 4 F. and light snow. Friday night we went to visit a family and while walking up to the house I found myself in a horizontal position rapidly approaching the frozen pavement. Man did I go down like a sack of potatoes. I remember realizing the ground was going to be coming up quick but the landing was a real jolt. I flopped around for a few seconds then slowly got up. Landed on my hip and forearm. I looked like a somebody had rolled me around in the snow and came out looking like a sugar coated donut. Donna did good, she tried not to laugh. After a thorough brushing I looked as good as new but a bit bruised. The hazards of the climate. Today it was -6F and sunny. When it's this cold the car takes a bit to warm up. The transmission oil is so thick the gear shift almost will stay to either the right or left while in neutral. It moves very slowly back to the center position.  It takes about 3-4 miles for it to warm up and act normal. We also plug the car in every night.

We have met one of Donna's second cousins that lives here in the city. He and his wife are retired teachers. They take the months of February and March each year and travel the warmer parts of the U.S. The genealogical connection is that they share a great grandfather. Sometime in the summer they want to take us to meet more of her cousins and see the area where he was raised.

I am in training for my motor pool assignment. I didn't think it would be so complicated. Lots of computer work with way too many reports. If I just had to deal with car inspections, repairs, driver certifications and that kind of stuff it would be much easier. There have been several car accidents of late mostly due to slick roads and narrow streets. One missionary was traveling to fast in a residential area and slide on a corner and crashed into the curb on the other side of the street. When the tire hit the curb the front suspension was pushed back to where the tire was almost rubbing the back of the fender well. With all the suspension parts being replaced and bending the wheel it wound up at $2000.00. The driver was suspended from driving for at least 3 months. Since these young folks have to drive in winter it may be more challenging than at ODF. 


Jim-bob

 

No comments:

Post a Comment